The site was down for a few days while I upgraded my hosting plan through my host, Aplus.net. Through a comedy of errors on both our parts, the entire site got wiped out, since WordPress relies on a database to manage all the posts. However, due to the dilligence and regular backups at Aplus.net, everything got sorted out. I had to repost my Lawson and Gaskill Peaks trip report and I lost some comments.
Which is a shame. Because the comments on my posts really motivate me to do better at this.
This quest for 100 peaks and book-writing has been challenging. I've had to refine my gear selection, and learn about a lot of things, including:
- Social Media and all the platforms available (Twitter, Flickr, Panoramio, Picasaweb, Facebook, Vimeo, YouTube, etc.)
- Shooting and editing photos and video (Well, I knew how to do this already, but now I shoot more video than I used to).
- Being a spokesperson and advocate for the outdoors, encouraging people to get outside and enjoy the wilderness.
- Promoting stewardship of the lands that we enjoy.
- Helping local and out-of-town people maximize their outdoors experience in San Diego.
- How to attract and manage followers and offer people a way to follow my posts.
- Follow and research local and worldwide outdoors news and trends.
And the list goes on. In addition to all of this, there is the fun part: actually researching trails and peaks, and getting outside and hiking them. Having a small child makes getting outside more difficult than it used to be, but where there is a will, there is a way. I am hoping to be a role model for her and stoke her interest in the outdoors.
In the coming months, I am aiming to include a lot more trip reports, but also highlight local land conservation trusts and volunteer programs, as well as adding park profiles to the San Diego Parks page. I am aiming for this site to be the place to go for San Diego Outdoors information. I will also be posting retro trip reports from past world-wide trips, more gear reviews, and general San Diego Outdoor News.
If you are ever hoping to see something specific here, please let me know and I will do my best to get it here. Once again, your comments are most welcome and thank you for reading.
If you'd ever like to support me in some way, head on over to My Gear page and see if there is something you'd like. In addition, I also have some 100 Peaks items on my Cafepress page that would help defray some of the costs of this endeavor.
Another thank you to the folks at Aplus.net for coming through for me. They host websites at a really reasonable price and their service and support has been great over the years. Tell them Derek at 100peaks.com sent you.
I hope to see you on the trail!